Friday, June 26, 2009

Goodbye, Michael...

Sebagai tribute aku untuk mendiang Michael Jackson, aku akan membuat post ini di dalam bahasa Inggeris...


What can I say?

I first heard the news at exactly 7:19 am on my mobile. A Star News alert that I subscribe to said;

'26/6 Multiple award-winning pop giant Michael Jackson, 50, dies in LA hospital after cardiac arrest at home; see thestar.com.my/STAR'.

It was shockingly surreal. I just couldn't believe my eyes. I had to get a confirmation on the news so I switched on my TV to the Breakfast Show. After a while, they confirmed it. He has passed away...

A wave of sadness came over me. I couldn't move. I was silent. I was numb. I was heartbroken.

The King of Pop himself has died.

My first introduction Michael and his genius was the song 'Beat It'. I remember it quite well because I really loved the video. I must have been 6 or 7 at the time. As an impressionable kid, the image of this guy swaggering and absolutely oozing with coolness left a huge mark in my psyche. That awesome guitar riff in the middle of the song was seared into my mind forever. The dancing was so out-of-this-world that I even tried to imitate it. Every one of my friends loved him too. On the bus to school, we would all gang up to pester the driver to play 'Beat It' on the radio. Most of the time, he said yes. Riding home on the bus from school, listening and singing 'Beat It' with my friends. Those were some of my happiest memories that I have ever had.

Michael was there throughout my teens and my early twenties and his influence and his songs have been in my mind for all those years. 'Billie Jean', 'Thriller', 'Black and White' and a whole bunch of other songs were like the background music of my life, eventhough I was more into rock and indie. A bit of pop, now and then, won't kill you.

My favourite Michael Jackson song is 'Man In The Mirror'. For me, it is one of the best songs EVER! I won't bother writing down the lyrics for you because I'm sure you know them. A song about change. A song that has insipired me as well as many countless others, I'm sure. I have yet to hear of another song that carries the simple message that in order to change the world, YOU have to change first. Absolute genius!

What can I say?

I am sure the world is now in mourning for the great man. I am sure that countless other tributes to him will be written in the next few days, months and years to come. I am sure that he has inspired countless men and women everywhere, to write, to sing, to dance, to further the great cause that is art, in all it varied, multitudinous forms. I am sure that even the generations of humanity in the future will also come to love and honour his music.

I am sure that he will be remembered.

Good bye Michael.
We will all miss you.

August 29, 1958 – June 25 2009

No comments: